PM Modi In US: The highlight of the first leg of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s hectic tour will be his address at the grand “Howdy, Modi” event.
HOUSTON: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Houston on Saturday, beginning his week-long tour to the United States in which he will hold several bilateral meetings and will address the United Nations General Assembly. One of the highlights of PM Modi’s US visit is his address at the grand “Howdy, Modi” event on Sunday, where he will share the stage with US President Donald Trump. Over 50,000 people are expected to attend the function. “Howdy Houston! It’s a bright afternoon here in Houston. Looking forward to a wide range of programmes in this dynamic and energetic city today and tomorrow,” PM Modi tweeted.
Here are 10 points on PM Narendra Modi’s US Tour:
- The “Howdy, Modi” event has been organised in Houston by the expat Indians. Mr Trump will share stage with him in what is being seen as an acknowledgement of growing India-US ties.
- The White House has said that President Trump will join PM Modi at the Houston rally as a “special gesture” to underscore the bond between the two countries.
- The event will also feature US lawmakers, prominent Indian Americans and 400 artistes who will present a cultural show.
- PM Modi will begin his marathon tour with a roundtable with the CEO’s of energy companies today. On Sunday, he will attend the grand event, where Mr Trump is also expected to address Indian expats.
- On September 24, PM Modi and Mr Trump will hold a bilateral meeting in which they will likely discuss the trade standoff over tariffs between the two countries. The White House has confirmed that President Trump will discuss ways to deepen the trade relationship between the two nations.
- On September 25, PM Narendra Modi will attend an investment roundtable with 40 major companies. The meeting is crucial for India, which is trying to spur growth after its Gross Domestic Product growth dropped to a five-year low.
- Before concluding his visit on September 27, PM Modi will address the UN General Assembly.
- PM Modi’s speech will generate attention in view of the tension between India and Pakistan over the scrapping of special status to Jammu and Kashmir. PM Modi will speak after Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, who has said that he will raise Kashmir at the UN General Assembly session.
- India has reiterated its stand that the move in Jammu and Kashmir — ending its special status and bifurcating it — is an internal matter. “Article 370 is an internal issue. Terrorism is one among many issues. The focus will be on India’s role at global stage, the Prime Minister will present his vision in this regard,” Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said earlier this week.
- PM Modi will also take part in a big climate summit in New York. The Prime Minister will showcase what India has done to address climate change issues and spell out our expectations and aspirations from the international community, Mr Gokhale had said.